Chennakesava Temple Markapur reflects Vijayanagara style of construction. Temple is located on banks of the river Gundlakamma. Temple Tower can be viewed even from the very long distance. Temple tower is of 135 feet tall.
In the month of December, Sun rays pass through Gopuram and touch the feet of the deity for 20 mins in a day, which is marvellous engineering. This event occurs for 12 days in the month of Dec.
This temple was built by the Vijayanagara rulers during 1405 – 1459 A.D. Temple walls and Gopuram were filled with rich carvings. 40 pillar Mantap within the temple complex had the carvings of deities. In the Kalyana Mantap, there is six long-standing which produces musical notes which are excellent engineering of Vijayanagara Kings. During the months of Mar and Apr, Temple Car festival will be celebrated for 10 days. Devotees from the nearby places used to participate in this festival, during Car festival, Utsava deities will be taken out in a procession.
It is said that Lord Vishnu killed the demon Kesi at this place. The Main deity Chenna Kesava Swamy was accompanied by His Consort Goddess Lakshmi in the Sanctum Sanctorum.
Chennakesava Temple Markapur Timings: 6:00 am – 8:30 pm
Dress Code: Any decent outfit.
How to reach Chennakesava Temple Markapur?
- The nearest international airport is at Vijayawada which is 227 km from this temple
- Next nearest international airport is at Hyderabad which is 272 km from the temple
- The nearest railway station is at Markapur Road which is at a walkable distance from this temple.
- Direct bus to Markapur is available from Prakasam bus station which is 74 km away.
- Direct bus to Markapur is available from Ongole which is 94 km away.
Chennakesava Temple Markapur Images
Reference Link: Temple History