Pandava Dhootha Perumal temple is one of the 108 Divya Desams, holy abodes of Lord Vishnu. Inside the Sanctum Sanctorum, Sri Krishna Idol is of 25 feet tall and appears in a sitting posture.
Pandava Dhootha Perumal Temple Legends
Legends date back to Mahabharatha period when Sri Krishna as an ambassador visited Kaurava Court to establish peace between Kauravas and Pandavas. Sri Krishna displayed His Viswaroopam (the magnificent form) when Kauravas tried to humiliate and kill Him. Even the blind King Dhrutharastra was able to see the divine form.
After hearing this story from the Sage Vaisampayana, King Janamejaya (The great Grandson of Arjuna) did penance here for Sri Krishna. Lord appeared in his divine form (Viswaroopam) and blessed Janamejaya at this temple. Sri Krishna at this temple called by Padagam.
Rohini Devi worshipped Lord Sri Krishna here and married Chandra (Moon God) here. It is also said that Rohini Devi is still worshipping Sri Krishna with no form here.
Another interesting story associated with this temple priests. A learned scholar, Acharya Arulala Perumal Emperumanar (also called Yanjamurthy) from Vinjamur in Nellore district came to Kanchi and engaged in a debate with Sri Ramanuja charya for 17 days and became his disciple after losing the debate. The disciple and his family started serving Pandava Dhootha here in this temple.
It is believed that those birth star as Rohini, will be relieved from their troubles if they worship Lord Sri Krishna here.
Pandava Dhootha Perumal temple History
From the inscriptions on the temple walls, it reveals that Chola King Kulottunga Chola I carried a significant amount of work in rebuilding temple during 11th and – 12th-century C.E.
Pandava Dhootha Perumal Temple Timings
- Morning Hours: 7:00 am – 11:00 am
- Evening Hours: 4:00 pm – 7:30 pm
Best Days to worship Lord here: Wednesday, Saturday, Rohini Star days and On Ashtami days
How to reach Pandava Dhootha Perumal temple?
- Temple is 108 km from Tirupati. The direct bus is available from Tirupati Central bus station.
- Temple is 1.6 km from Kanchipuram Bus station
- Temple is 1.4 km from Kanchipuram Railway station
Temples Near Pandava Dhootha Perumal temple
- Ekambareswarar Temple is at a walkable.
- Kailsanathar Temple is 1.1 km away
- Kumarakottam Subramanya Swamy Temple is at a walkable distance
- Kanchi Kamakshi Amman Temple is 2.6 km away
- Sri Varadaraja Perumal Temple is 4.8 km away
- Karchpeswarar Temple is 1 km away