Nilathingal Thundathan Perumal Temple in Kanchipuram is one of the 108 Divya Desams (Holy abodes) of Lord Vishnu, where poojas will be performed by the Saivite priests. Temple is located in the North-East of the Ekambareswarar Temple compound. Temple is located in the North-East corner. This temple is of 1000 years old. Lord here called by Thiru Nilathingal Perumal, which means Lord who bless devotees in moon colour. The deity will be seen here in a standing posture and is facing towards West.
Nilathingal Thundathan Perumal Temple Legends
Legend dates back to the times of Churning Milky Ocean, Where Vasuki Serpent was used as the churning rope, Mount Meru as the churning stick, Devas and Asuras who held Vasuki on either side. When the Mount Meru started sinking into the ocean, Lord Vishnu took the form of Tortoise (Kurma Avathar) and bore the weight of ‘Mount Meru’ on his back to balance the churning stick. During this exercise, Vasuki serpent was exhausted and split venom which fell into the ocean and darkened Lord Vishnu’s skin colour.
On Brahma’s suggestion, Lord Vishnu did penance here for Lord Siva, who blessed Vishnu by showering crescent moon rays. Hence Lord Vishnu praised here by Nila- Thunda Perumal, which means Lord with Crescent moon Color.
Goddess Lakshmi is worshipped here in a formless manner, it is believed that the Goddess was merged with the Lord Vishnu.
Nilathingal Thundathan Perumal Temple History
Temple is believed to be 1000-2000 years old. Vijayanagara kings contributed to renovating this temple.
- Morning Hours: 6 am – 11 am
- Evening Hours: 5 pm – 8 pm
How to reach Nilathingal Thundathan Perumal Temple?
- Temple is 2 km from Kanchi Bus station
- Temple is 108 km from Tirupati. Direct bus to Kanchi is available from Tirupati at regular intervals.
- From Chennai, the temple is 80 km away.
- Temple is at a walkable distance (600 mt ) from Kanchipuram Railway station.
Temples Near Nilathingal Thundathan Perumal Temple?
- Kailasanathar Temple is 1.9 km away
- Kanchi Kamakshi Amman Temple is 2.5 Km away
- Sri Vardaraja Perumal Temple is 5 km away
- Kumarakottam Subramanya Swamy Temple is at a walkable distance
- Pandava Dhootha Perumal temple is at a walkable distance
- Karchpeswarar Temple is 1.2 km away
- Sri Vaikunta Perumal Temple is 2.4 km away