Gangasagar island, Beach, Entry fees, Best Time to Visit, Contact number
The confluence of River Ganga with The Bay of Bengal. It is believed that taking a holy dip relieves us from the birth cycle. There is a saying that All Tirthas are one side and Ganga Sagar on the other Side. One must take a dip in this Tirtha during the lifetime. The River Ganga merges with Sagar in Sunderban Islands.
Gangasagar Mela will be held every year on the day of Makara Sankranthi. Lakhs of devotees from all over the world reach this place for the holy dip. This Mela is celebrated for 5 days in which the first 3 days is meant for the bathing. The Kapil Muni Temple is located on the banks of the Sagar. The devotees used to offer Puja after taking bath. Ganga Devi temple is temple is located on the shore.
During Mela, thousands of tents are set up for the stay. This is open for the bath on all the days. Makara Sankranthi is the auspicious day for the dip.
How to reach Gangasagar Island?
- The nearest airport is at Kolkata which is 127 Km away. The direct bus is not available from the Kolkata station.
- The direct Trains available from all parts of the country to Kolkatta
- From Kolkata Sealdah station, it takes 2 hours 25 mins to Kakdwip. Train Timings: 4:00 am, 5:09 am and 7:15 am
- From Kakdwip station to Lot No.8 Ferry ghat, it is 8 Km. Auto Rickshaws are running frequently.
- From Ghat to Kachuberiya Island it takes 1 hour.
- Reaches Gangasagar Confluence in another 1 hour.
- The direct bus is available from Harwood or Kakdwip station to Sagar Island.
For more details on Gangasagar Tour Packages ,Please call @ +91 8500085151
Reference Link: details