Gangasagar Mela Date, Timings, Puja, Aarti, Online Booking, Route Info
This Mela is celebrated for 5 Days at the confluence of River Ganga and The Bay of Bengal.
Starting Day: 2 days before Makara Sankranti. 13Jan, 14Jan and 15Jan are holy dates for the dip.
Ending Day: Usually ends a day after Makara Sankranti.
First 3 days are auspicious for the holy bathing. It is believed that a holy dip in this Sagar removes all Sins and relieves us from the birth cycle.
Auspicious Time: Makara Sankranti day. Early hours during Sunrise. Devotees offer Puja to Surya Bhagawan. Followed by Puja at Kapila Muni Temple on the shore.
The devotees usually reach Sagardwip one week in advance. Thousands of devotees participate in this holy Yatra who travels from different parts of the world.
Only Charges required for this holy dip. Transportation is available from Howrah railway station by bus. Aarti is offered to the River Ganga during this time.
Tents will be arranged on the Sagardwip during this time.
How to reach Gangasagar Island?
- The nearest airport is at Kolkata which is 127 Km away. The direct bus is not available from the Kolkata station to the Island.
- The direct Trains available from all parts of the country to Kolkatta
- From Kolkata Sealdah station, it takes 2 hours 25 mins to Kakdwip. Train Timings: 4:00 am, 5:09 am and 7:15 am
- From Kakdwip station to Lot No.8 Ferry ghat, it is 8 Km. Auto Rickshaws are running frequently.
- From Ghat to Kachuberiya Island it takes 1 hour.
- Reaches Gangasagar Confluence in another 1 hour.
- The direct bus is available from Harwood or Kakdwip station to Sagar Island.
For more details on Gangasagar Mela Tour Packages, Please call @ +91 8500085151
Reference Link: details