Sangameswara Swamy Temple Muchumarri is an ancient Hindu Temple which is submerged completely in the waters of Srisailam Dam. This temple darshan will only be available for 45 – 60 days in a year that too during summer when the dam water level comes down. This temple is located at the merging points of two rivers Krishna and Tungabadhra and their tributaries Bhavanasi, Veni, Hundri, Bhimarathi and Malapabharani rivers.
Sangameswara Swamy Temple Muchumarri Legends
Temple dates to Mahabharatha period, Pandavas were exiled to the forest after losing their kingdom to Kauravas in the gambling. During their travel, they reached the place where Krishna and Tungabadhra are merging and was impressed with nature and started residing here for some time. Dharmaraju, Elder of Pandavas asked Bheema to bring Siva Idol from Kashi to offer prayers at this place. On his brother’s request, Bheema brought the Idol from Kasi after praying to Annapurna Kasi Viswanatha Swamy. Dharmaraju installed the Idol at the junction of Krishna and Thungabadhra rivers and offered prayers. As Siva Linga was installed at the confluence of the two rivers, Lord here called by Sangameswara Swamy.
This temple was built during the times of the Chalukya Dynasty.
The present temple was rebuilt with the utmost care by the Archaeological department. Sangameswara Swamy was reinstalled here.
Darshan is available only for 4 months in a year.
How to reach Sangameswara Swamy Temple Muchumarri?
- The direct bus is available from Kurnool to Alampuram. From Alampuram, one can reach this temple either by walk or horse cart
- From Palamuru one can reach by bus to Kollampuram via Nagar Kurnool. From Kollampuram there is a bus to Chellapadu village, one should get down at Ayyavari Palle. From here it is 2 km, one can reach Temple either by walk or bullock carts.
- There is a boating facility available from Nehru Nagar and Natoor Konidela areas which are near to Nandikotturu Mandal, and AtmakurMandall in Kurnool district.
- From Telangana, Boating available from Somasila to the temple.
- Atmakur to the temple it is 40 km by Road.
Sangameswara Swamy Temple Muchumarri
Reference Link: details