Vallakottai Murugan Temple History, Timings, Darshan and Route info
Darshan Dress Code: Any decent outfit
Darshan Duration: 15 to 20 mins during weekdays. 20 to 30 mins dduring weekends. 1 to 2 hours on festival days.
The temple is located on the Chennai – Vizhupuram National High way.
Best time to visit: Oct to Jun.
Vallakottai Murugan Temple History
This temple is believed to be 1200 years old. Subramanya swamy tallest Idol is in this temple. This temple was built by the King Bageerathan who was ruling Sankodpuram of Ilanji Kingdom. As per the folklore, this place was ruled by the Asura Vallan. Lord Murugan killed the demon and restored the peace. This place was named after the Asuran as his last wish. Hence the placed called by Vallakottai. The deity hear known as as izhandha selvangalai meetuth tharum arulmigu kodayaaNdavar, the one who restored that is lost.
Major festivals of this temple
1. Monthly festival on Kirutikai star day
2. Temple Car festival in the month of Apr.
3. Visakam festival in May
4. Navaratri festival in May
5. Skanda Shashti festival in October
6. Thiru Karthikai festival in the month of Nov/Dec
7. Thaipoosam festival in the month of January
8. Panguni Uttiram festival in March.
Every Thursday, Lord Murugan will be decorated with Diamond Vel. On Krittika day, thousands of people worship the Lord every month on this day. The main festivals are the Brahma Utsavam, Skanda Shashti and the festival of Subrahmanya’s marriage with Goddess Valli.
Vallakottai Murugan Temple Timings
Morning Hours: 5:30 am to 1:00 pm
Evening Hours: 3:00 pm to 8:30 pm
How to reach Vallakottai Murugan Temple?
- The nearest airport is at Chennai which is at 36 Km away.
- The nearest Railway station is at Chennai which is 50 Km away.
- The direct buses are available from T Nagar, Tambaram, Pallavaram.
- Bus No# S582 – T.Nagar to Vallakkottai, S583 – Tambaram to Sriperumpudur, S583 E – Pallavaram to Vallakkottai