Murudeshwara Temple History, Timings, Poojas and Route information
Murudeshwara Temple History
Legend date back to Treta Yuga, Kaikesi, mother of Ravana ordered her Son Ravana to bring Siva Atma Linga. Ravana performed strict penance for years. Lord Siva was impressed with the Ravana’s prayers and blessed with Atma Linga. Lord Siva instructed Ravana, not to keep the Atma Linga on the Earth. Ravana who supposed to offer prayers to Surya Bhagavan during Sunset hours started searching for a helper. Ganesh who disguised him as a Brahmin boy offered his help with a condition. He will place Atma Linga on the Earth if Ravana did not return after the third call. Ravana on return noticed the Atma Linga on the ground.
Ravana tried hard to extract the Linga, due to the force parts from Linga were thrown away. A portion of the Linga’s head portion is said to have fallen at Suratkal. He then tried to remove the case covering and threw it away, which is said to have fallen at Sajjeshwara. Ravana then threw the lid of the case in anger which landed at Guneshwara (now Gunavanthe) and Dhareshwara. Finally, Ravana removed the cloth covering Atma Linga and threw it away, which landed at Mrideshwara in Kanduka Giri. As time passes by Mrideshwara changed to Murudeshwara.
How to Murudeshwara Temple?
- The nearest airport is at Mangalore which is 156 km away.
- The nearest railway station is at Murdeshwar. This station can be reached from Mangalore as it falls on Mangalore-Mumbai Konkan railway route.
- The direct bus is available from Udupi, Mangalore stations.
Places near Murudeshwara Temple
- Kollur Mookambika Temple is 60 km from this temple
- Gokarna Mahabaleshwar Temple is 78 km from this temple.
- Udupi Sri Krishna Temple is 100 km away.
- Jog falls is 88 km away
Murudeshwara Temple Images
Reference Link: History