Koothanur Saraswathi Temple History, Timings, Route info
This holy place was associated with the convergence of River Ganga, Yamuna and Saraswati.
As per the folklore, Ganga was separated from Lord Siva to facilitate Lord Siva marriage with Goddess Parvathi. Ganga reached Lord Siva here in this place.
As per the Legend, Brahma and Saraswati had
It is believed that Yamuna was relieved from the curse on worshipping Lord Siva here.
This temple was built during the reign of Raja Raja Chola II. It is believed that one will be relieved from the Previous birth sins by taking bath here in this Dakshina Triveni Sangamam.
Koothanur Saraswathi Temple Pooja
- Special Poojas will be performed On Vijaya Dasami day during Navaratri festival days.
- Abhishekams and special poojas will be performed to the deity Saraswati on Moola Nakshatra days, Full moon days and on Wednesdays.
Offerings to the deity
- Honey, milk, turmeric powder, curd, ghee, and fruit juices will be offered for the Abhishekam.
- White Pattu Sarees will be offered to the deity.
Koothanur Saraswathi Temple Timings
|7:30 am – 1:00 pm||Temple opening Hours|
|9:00 am||Kalasanthi Pooja|
|4:00 pm – 8:30 pm||Temple opening Hours|
|8:30 pm||Arthajamam Pooja|
Best days for Saraswati Pooja
- Moola Nakshatra day during Navaratri festival
- Vasantha Panchami day (Usually falls on Feb month)
- Garuda Panchami.
How to reach Koothanur Saraswathi Temple?
- The nearest airport is at Trichy which is 135 Km away.
- The nearest Railway station is at Poonthottam Railway Station which is 2 Km away. Railway line Mayiladuthurai to Tiruvarur, pass thru this station.
- This temple can be reached from from Mayiladuthurai.
- Buses from Mayiladuthurai to Tiruvarur pass thru Poonthottam.
Reference Link: details