Thiruvannamalai Temple, History, Timings and Route information
As per the folklore, Lingodbhava is connected with this place. Lord Siva once emerged as a flame pillar and dared Lord Vishnu and Lord Brahma to find the beginning and the ending. Lord Vishnu in the form of a boar went deep into the Earth while Lord Brahma in the form a swan went up the sky to find the other side. While on his way, Brahma met Mogili flower and Cow to support his words. Brahma answered Siva that he had discovered the beginning showing Mogili and Cow as the witness. Lord Siva got angered with the lie and cursed Brahma that there will not be idols in the Earth and also cursed Mogili and Cow. Lord Siva cursed Brahma that there will not be any idols for him and also cursed Mogili (flower), that it is unfit for his Prayers and seeing a cow in the face first thing in the morning is unholy
Lord Vishnu and Brahma prayed Lord Siva to calm down who later took the form of a hill. The hill called by the name Arunachala hill.
This is One of the Panchabhootha Sthalam, where Lord Siva represents the Fire element. Girivalam and Karthika Deepam will be celebrated in a grand. Lakhs of devotees participate on these special days.
Thiruvannamalai Temple Timings
- Morning Hours: 5:00 am – 12:00 pm
- Evening Hours: 5:00 pm – 9:30 pm
How to reach Thiruvannamalai?
- The nearest airport is at Chennai which is 173 km away.
- The nearest railway station is at Thiruvannamalai which is 2 km away.
- Daily trains are available from Chennai to Thiruvannamalai.
- Temple can be easily reachable by Bus and Cab. It takes 4-5 hours by Road drive.
Thiruvannamalai Temple Images
Reference Link: Temple History