Suriyanar Koil Temple is dedicated to Sun God. The main deity Sun God resides here with his consorts Usha and Chaaya. Temple is located in Thanjavur District. Swamimalai is 21 km away from this temple. Ratha Sapthami or Surya Jayanthi will be celebrated in a grand.
Suriyanar Koil Temple History
This temple was built during the reign of Chola King Kulothuna I between 1060 AD-1118 AD and later renovated by Vijayanagara Kings. It is believed that taking a bath in Surya Pushkarini (Temple tank) will relieve Dosha. Jnana Koopam temple tank is located inside the temple.
As per the legends, Sage Kalava Muni prayed Navagrahas for the cure from leprosy disease. Navagrahas granted the boon and Sage recovered from the disease. Angered Brahma Cursed Navagrahas to suffer from Leprosy disease. Navagrahas has to act as per the Karma but they cannot grant boon on their own. Navagrahas came down to the Earth and did penance for Lord Siva in Vellerukku Vahanam (Jungle filled with white flowers). Impressed Lord Siva appeared before them and granted the boon that each Graha will have their own place of worship.
Suriyanar Koil Temple Timings
Morning Hours: 6:00 am – 12:30 pm
Evening Hours: 4:00 pm – 8:00 pm
Phone Number: +91 435 2472349
Worshipping Suriyanar Benefits
- Reduces the malefic effects of Kalathira Dosham
- Removes the hurdles for the marriage
- Putra Dosham
- For good career and education
- In Surya Dasa
- Worshipping Sun god during Surya Pradosham time reduces the malefic effects of Saturn(Shani)
How to reach Suriyanar Koil Temple?
- The nearest international airport is at Tiruchirapalli which is 104 km away.
- The nearest railway station is at Kumbakonam which is 15 km away.
- Temple is 2 km from Aduthurai. 15 km from Kumbakonam. Direct bus to Kumbakonam is available from all parts of TamilNadu
Suriyanar Koil Temple Images
Reference Link: Temple History