Srivilliputhur Temple is one of the 108 holy abodes of Lord Vishnu.
Srivilliputhur Temple Legends
Vishnuchittra or Perialwar is believed to have lived in the 8th Century AD. Andal was his adopted child who found her while managing Tulasi gardening, in the precincts of Sri Vatapatrasai Temple. Andal used to help her father Perialwar in weaving flower garland every day for worship of the Lord.
One morning Perialwar noticed that Andal was wearing garland around her neck intended for the Lord and admiring herself in a mirror and enjoying. Perialwar disappointed and remonstrated for her acts. The Lord appeared in the dreams of Perialwar and said that he would wear the garland worn by Godai.
As the Andal attained teenage, She expressed her interest in marrying Krishna. Lord Ranganatha requested Perialwar in a dream to bring Andal to Sri Rangam in a bridal ceremony. Lord appeared in the dreams of Sri Rangam Temple chief and instructed him to send a duly decorated palanquin. A palanquin was sent from Sri Rangam for the bridal ceremony. King Vallaba Deva made the arrangements for the divine wedding and joined the wedding party.
Andal entered sanctum sanctorum of the temple and worshipped the Holy feet of Sri Ranganatha. To the astonishment of the devotees gathered to witness the ceremony, She merged with the Lord.
Srivilliputhur Temple History
It is believed that this temple was built in 14th Century A.D. The Temple tower is of 60 mt tall with outstanding features. Temple received huge contributions from King Tirumalai Nayak, Chola Kings and Travancore Kings.
Srivilliputhur Temple Address
Arulmigu Nachiar Temple
Srivilliputhur- 626125, TamilNadu
Srivilliputhur Temple Timings
Timings – Pooja Details
- 6:30 am – Viswaroopa Darshan
- 8:30 am – Kalasanthi Pooja
- 9:30 am – Thirumanjanam
- 12:00 pm – Uchikkala Pooja
- 12:30 pm – Nadai Sarthal
- 1:00 pm – Temple Closing Hours
- 4:00 pm – Temple Reopening Hours
- 4:30 pm – Nadai Thirappu
- 6:00 pm – Saya Ratchai Pooja
- 8:00 pm – Atthalam Pooja
- 8:30 pm – Aravanai
- 9:00 pm – Temple Closing Hours
Temple Opening Hours
- Morning Hours: 7:00 am – 1:00 pm
- Evening Hours: 4:00 pm – 9:00 pm
How to reach Srivilliputhur Temple?
- The nearest airport is at Madurai which is 76 km away.
- Daily trains are available from Chennai to Srivilliputhur.
- Temple is easily reachable from Madurai which is the major junction.
- Srivilliputhur is well connected with major parts of TamilNadu.