KalaKaleshwara Temple in Coimbatore, History and Contact info
This temple is of 1300 years old. The Linga here in this temple was made out of Spume. Hence, Abhishekam is not performed with Ghee and Curd. This temple is know for 60th marriage, 70th marriage, 80th marriage and 100th marriage functions.
KalaKaleshwara Temple History in Coimbatore
As per the Legend, Markandeya born with lifespan of 16 years. On knowing from his father about the lifespan, Markandeya started worshipped Lord Siva. On the final day, Marakandeyea was in Thirukadayur Temple wrapping both his hands around Siva Linga. Yama, with his Yamapasa tried to pull Markandeya Soul. Angered Siva, Kicked Yama and blessed Markandeya. Yama did penance for Lord Siva at Kowsika Puri. Yama made the Siva Linga made out his own hands. After relieving from the sins, Yama left on his duty. Sage Viswamitra installed the Siva Linga left by Yama.
This temple was l
KalaKaleshwara Temple Timings
Morning Hours: 6.00 AM to 12.30 PM
Evening Hours: 4.00 PM to 8.30 PM
Darshan Dress Code: Any decent outfit
Ticket cost: Free entry for all devotees
Darshan Duration: 10 to 15 mins during weekdays. 15 to 30 mins during weekends.
Best Time to visit: Aug to Jun
Monthly Festivals at this Temple
- Theipirai Ashtami
Important Annual Festivals at this Temple
- Mahasivaratri Festival celebrations for a day.
- Markali – Thiruvaahirai 1 day.
- Tamil New Year.
How to reach KalaKaleshwara Temple?
- The direct bus is available from Coimbatore to Kovilpalayam.
- This Temple is 25 Km away from Coimbatore city
- The nearest Railway station is at Coimbatore which is 34 Km from Kovilpalayam
- The nearest airport is at Coimbatore which is 32 Km away
- Kochi airport is 95 Km away
- Kozhikode airport is 125 Km away.