Kalakadu Wildlife Sanctuary Timings, Safari, Opening and Closing Hours
Best Time to Visit: Oct to Jan. This sanctuary remains open for visitors from Oct to Summer months.
Entry Timings: 7:00 am – 5:00 pm. Daily
This Sanctuary stretches over an area of 251 Sq Km. This Sanctuary is inhabited with Lion tailed Macaque, Langur Monkey, Nilgiri tahr, Sambar, Sloth bear, Gaur, Elephant, Tiger, Flying Squirrel, Panther, wild dog, Pangoline, Wild boar, Leopard, Spotted Deer, Sambar and many other carnivorous, herbivorous and reptiles.Kalakad was declared as the wildlife sanctuary in 1976 to safe guard endangered lion-tailed macaque.
The Kalakkad Mundanthurai Tiger Reserve was established in the year 1988 after combining Kalakad Wildlife Sanctuary which is 251 Sq.km and Mundanthurai Wildlife Sanctuary which is 567 Sq.km.
49 fishes, 45 amphibians, 88 reptiles, 337 bird species, 79 mammals were recorded in this sanctuary.
Kalakadu Trekking Routes
|Trekking Route||Trekking Distance|
|Thalayanai -> Karungal Kasam||6 Km|
|Karungal Kasam -> Mudul||7.5 Km|
|Iruppan W. House -> Mulakalasam||7 Km|
|Mulakalasam -> Kakachi||15 Km|
|Log house -> Upper Kodaiyar||14 Km|
|Netterikal -> Thirukkurungudi Range K.R.F||8 Km|
|Narakad -> Nambikoil||19 Km|
|Kannikatti FRH -> Pandipatti||21 Km|
|Mundanthurai -> Vadamadi RH||18 Km|
|Karaiyar -> Sevalar (E.B.) Rest House||4 Km|
- Agasthiyar falls and
- Ananatheertham falls near Karayar Dam in Mundanthurai RF
- Manimuthar falls in Ambasamudram RF
How to reach Kalakadu Wildlife Sanctuary?
- Madurai Airport is 223 Km away. The Tuticorin airport is 98 km away. Thiruvananthapuram airport is 158 km away.
- The nearest railway station is at Ambasamudram which is 29 km away
- This sanctuary can be reached from Thirukkurungudi, Kalakad, Papanasam, Ambasamudram and Sivasailam.
- The direct bus is available from Tirunelveli which is 60 km away.
Reference Link: details