Daulatabad Fort History, Timings, Route info, Entry fees
Daulatabad Fort History
This was built by the King Raja Bhillamraj of Yadav Dynasty. It was the capital of the Hindu Kingdoms during the 12th Century and was called by Deogiri, which means the hill of the Gods. Deogiri passed into the possession of the Sultans of Delhi in 1308 AD. 30 years later, Muhammad bin Tughlak, ascending the Delhi Throne, ordered his capital to be moved to the Southern City which he renamed Daulatabad. Later he regretted the decision as it involved a terrible toll in human misery and thousands of Delhi Citizens perished on the way. The Sultan ordered the whole mass of migrants to move back to the abandoned capital.
The outer wall runs for 6 Km and there are several inner walls with heavy iron gates fitted with elephant spikes.
The first gateway leads into the enclosure which has, at the left, a huge water tank and further up there is an ancient Hindu Temple. Its roof supported by 150 Pillars. Towards the right is the Chand Minar, a pillar of victory built by a king to commemorate his conquest of Daultatabad.
A large gun about 5.5 mt long lies at the top of round high bastion. The solid rock is scraped to a height of about 76 mt.
The total height of fortress is about 183 mt. There is a reservoir on top.
Daulatabad Fort Timings
8:00 am – 6:00 pm. Daily.
Adult Indian National: Rs.10/ person
Foreigner: Rs.100/ person
How to reach Daulatabad Fort?
- The nearest airport is at Aurangabad which is 23 Km away.
- The nearest railway station is at Aurangabad which is 22 Km
- Taxi is available from Bus and Railway station to the fort.
Reference Link: details