Vittala Temple Hampi
Vittala Temple Hampi History, Timings, Opening and Closing Hours
Vittala Temple Hampi History
Temple is located on the southern banks of the River Tungabhadra and was built in 15th Century AD. This temple architecture reflects the style of Vijayanagara dynasty. This temple has a number of pillared Mantaps. The temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu who is worshipped here as Vittala and faces East. Stone Chariot at the entrance of the temple is so beautifully carved which attracts every tourist visiting the temple. The chariot is the virtual trademark of Hampi and the stone wheels still rotate. This chariot house Garuda Image who faces the temple. The brick superstructure which forms the pyramidal top of the chariot is absent.
The Mahamantap is quite big and is carved with images. It has 56 musical pillars with figures of dancers and musicians sculpted on them, which produce sounds or notes of distinct musical instruments when tapped. While the pillars on the outer periphery are slender, those inside are of the Yali type and stouter.
The Mantap house the Garbha Griha and has a number of other shrines. The shrine is a treasure trove which includes reliefs of animals and humans.
Purandaradasa Mantap is right behind the Vittala Temple, commemorating the great composer who seated by the river, wrote many songs in praise of Lord Krishna.
Timings: Sunrise to Sunset
|Entry for||Ticket Cost||details|
|Adult (SAARC Countries and BIMSTEC Countries||Rs.30||SAARC Countries( Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Maldives and Afghanistan). |
BIMSTEC Countries (Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Myanmar)
|Children (under 15 years)||Free||All|
How to reach Hampi?
- Hampi is equal distance from Bangalore and Goa airports and is 350 km away.
- Trains do run from Bangalore to Hospet Junction at regular intervals on a daily basis.
- Daily trains are available from Tirupati to Hospet Junction. Travel time is between 8 hours 30 mins – 11 hours 15 mins.
- From Bangalore to Hospet regular KSRTC bus available at early hours, from Hospet, Hampi is 12 km away.
- Hampi is 85 km from Bellary. The direct bus available from Bellary to Hampi.
Vittala Temple Hampi Images
Reference Link: Temple History